Yogi’s Corner: Warrior II
By Lauren Fournier, PT, DPT
In one of our previous newsletters I taught Warrior I (Virabhadrasana I) and now I will teach you how to do Warrior II (Virabhadrasana II) made more accessible by performing in a chair.
Benefits: Opens hips, shoulders, hamstrings, inner thighs and core.
Precautions: Ankle, knee, inner thigh or hip condition.
Step by step:
- Sit with your feet flat on the floor and your spine straight in mountain pose (Tadasana).
- Move the entire left thigh onto the seat placing your left knee above your left ankle, tracking it over your middle toes. Extend your right leg out to the right with your toes on the ground.
- Rotate the right leg out so your foot is parallel to your chair. Press down through both feet, lengthen the spine, spreading arms away from one another. Palms face down (or up if this is more comfortable). Soften shoulders and roll your shoulder blades onto your back.
- Rotate back to face the left.
- Return to seated mountain (Tadasana).
- Switch to the other side.
Drishti (aka: Direction of your gaze): Over front fingers
Modifications: Place a folded blanket under hips and under front foot. Practice with palms skyward
Check out this video!